Do you want to learn how to shave your legs properly without the need for a shaving cream?
Or you want to know where to start from when you want to shave your legs, the steps to take?
Then this post is for you, in this article you will learn:
- How to shave your legs without shaving cream
- How long does it take to shave legs
- The best razor to shave legs
- The best way to shave legs without getting a rash/irritation
- How often should you shave legs
- Should shave legs with or against the grain?
Note that the tips you will read in this post can also be applied when you want to shave any part of your body that isn’t your legs except for down which we all know requires special attention and care.
How To Shave Your Legs Without Shaving Cream
For many folks including I who don’t enjoy shaving with shaving cream or who don’t have it at the moment, these steps under this heading might be perfect for you.
A lot of other things can be substituted for shaving cream like: oil, gel, water or a non mentholated hair conditioner.
If you don’t have any of these or allergic, you can use just water because the goal is to keep your skin hydrated enough so as to allow the razor glide effortlessly to avoid cuts and ingrown hair. You may like this article I wrote about: How To Shave With Just Water Alone
So let’s get started:
1. Get a sharp razor preferably a new one.
2. Splash water on your legs just to wet the legs
3. Exfoliate gently if you can with a salt scrub or exfoliating cloth and rinse off with clean water. This is optional but it can help to avoid razor cuts from dead skin cells that sometime form bumps on the skin.
4. Apply oil, hair conditioner or just water or even shaving gel to your legs or hands generously almost covering your skin.
5. Shave upwards, towards your knees. This is known as shaving with the grain and it is the best way to shave to avoid ingrown hair.
6. If you feel like all the hair on skin is gone, rinse thoroughly with cold water and moisturize generously with your favourite moisturizer or body oil.
How Long Does It Take To Shave Legs?
There is no time limit for shaving legs or any parts of the body but for the sake of statistics, shaving your legs can take anywhere from 5 to 22 minutes.
When shaving any part of your body, it is best to be very careful not to cut your skin in the process, so take your time and finish when you can.
What Is The Best Way To Shave Your Legs Without Irritation & Rash?
The only way to shave your legs to avoid a rash or skin irritations is to follow the tips below:
- Exfoliate the area before shaving with a scrub or cloth
- Only shave a hydrated skin
- Use a new razor
- Shave with the grain
If you can follow the aforementioned steps then you will be able to achieve a clean aftershave everytime.
What To Use Instead Of Shaving Cream?
Shaving cream alternatives include body oil, soap latter, shaving gel or just water! These aforementioned alternatives can equally do the job that shaving cream does, sometimes better.
Just make sure that you are not allergic to any product you decide to use.
Best Razor To Shave Your Legs With?
The best razor to shave your legs with can be from any brand as long it has more than 3 blades because more blades equals the job getting done efficiently and the hair cut almost in one glide.
The only razor that I am sure of and would recommend is the Gillette venus 5 blades razor and you can find it on Amazon for $14 and it comes with with 2 razor refills incase the original becomes blunt.
How Often Should You Shave Your Legs?
As long as needed. It can be every week or once a month, depending on how fast your hair grow back.
So simply shave your legs as soon as you feel you need to shave them. But then again, you can opt for waxing as it uproots the hair from the follicle roots and painful, but your hair tend to grow slowly after waxing.
Shave Legs With Or Against The Grain?
You should shave with the grain. This has been a bit confusing over the years because a lot of people get confused about which is which. Here is a pictorial description of what shaving with the grain is:
Shaving with the grain has been proved to prevent razor bumps, ingrown hair due to not cutting the hair completely. So next time you want to shave your body, try shaving with the grain and see the difference.
If you have read to this point then you have assimilated useful tips you can use when you want to shave your legs without shaving cream.
This does not mean that you cannot use other products to shave, if you want to. This article is just to help out and provide alternatives for those who might not have the shaving cream in hand or want to shave with just water!